California Boater Card
On January 1, 2018 the state of California passed a mandatory boating safety education law. The new law will be phased in by age. If you operate any type of motorized vessel on California waterways, you will be required to pass an approved boating safety examination and carry a lifetime California Boater Card issued by the California State Parks Division of Boating and Waterways. Each year a new age group will be added to those who are required to possess a valid card.
California Boater Card Compliance Year and Age
• January 1, 2019 – 25 years or younger
• January 1, 2020 – 35 years or younger
• January 1, 2021 – 40 years or younger
• January 1, 2022 – 45 years or younger
• January 1, 2023 – 50 years or younger
• January 1, 2024 – 60 years or younger
• January 1, 2025 – All persons regardless of age
By 2025, all persons who operate on California waters will be required to have a card based on the following phase-in schedule and operator age. Once issued, the card remains valid for a boat operator’s lifetime. The lifetime card fee is $10. Visit www.californiaboatercard.com to get started!